|Partisan hospital Bolnica Pavla|
In autumn 1943, after the Italian capitulation, the Partisan leaders
decided to build a hidden hospital for approximately 100 patients in
the center of the then liberated territories between the plateau
Vojskarska planota and the Trnovski gozd, between the river basins of
the Idrijca and the Belca and among the roads Čekovnik-Mrzla
Rupa-Poslušanje-Mala Gora. It was being built gradually as the greatest
possible secret. Several buildings were built, on separate locations in
hidden and hardly accessible places. Thus they were safe from the
Between January 1944 and the war end the director and head doctor of the hospital was Dr. Pavla (Mrs Pavla Jerina Lah). In the hospital Dr. Pavla performed a series of difficult and complicated procedures. Urgent medical assistance was offered to more than 1,600 patients of different nationalities, who were treated by 114 members of the hospital staff. Unfortunately, none of the wooden cabins has been preserved till the present. The monuments at Hudo polje in Mrzla Rupa and at the last exchange near Krekovše remind the visitors of the partisan hospital in the area.
There’s a relief model put on show at the exhibition grounds in the Municipal museum Idrija with all the hospital wards marked. You can also see the medical instruments from those times and a radio receiver adjusted to 12 volts.