Gewerkenegg Castle was built between 1522-1533 as the administrative
seat of the mine – the second largest mercury mine in the world.
Through the centuries it was rebuilt and reconstructed. In the second half of the 18th century the frontage of the yard was painted with frescoes that have been reconstructed and now again adorn the castle courtyard.
Since 1954 it has hosted the Municipal museum Idrija. The building was completely renovated in the last two decades. The castle complex is now a spacious museum exhibition grounds and at the same time the scene of summer cultural events. The central exhibition presents the "Five centuries of the mercury mine and the town Idrija".
More information on the website: www.muzej-idrija-cerkno.si